Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bluetooth ... Phone

I had this idea for a few years now,  to make an old land line phone with REAL BELLS work as a bluetooth headset for a cell phone.  Now I can't take full credit for this as I heard of Steve Wozniac built one of these years ago.  I loved the idea, and wanted to build my own.

Version 0.1 (previous version)
Simple handset from phone with bluetooth headset mounted inside.  Very simple yet very eerie looking.
Version 0.2 has (Current Version)
1.  Tabletop touch tone phone.
2.  Dial tone.
3.  Ability to dial out.
4.  Working bells.
5.  10 cell NiMh battery pack.

Version 0.3 will feature (Researching/parts gathering)
  All of Ver 0.2 plus following
1.  Working rotary dial
2.  10 cell Sanyo Enelope battery pack.
3.  Ext charger.
4.  Auto/on switch.

Version 0.4 (planning)
  All of Ver .3 plus
1.  Internal charger.
2.  flashing "ringer" light.
3.  Ringer "silent" switch
4.  Dial light via red LED
5.  handset posts light via red LED
6.  Internal Voltage regulating power supply, for continuous operation.
7.  Universal External 12v/2a power supply.

Current model notes.  Current 0.3 version trying to invent a way to mount the batteries.  Best idea so far is to use 4-40 long bolts through the bottom and zip tie the packs to them, best semi- permanent mounting solution.  Mounting the circuit boards are nearly the same way, using 4-40 screws with stand-offs.  The Auto/on switch refers to the ability to have the device auto power off when charging plug is inserted into a "switched dc power jack".  To get the rotary dial to work with the bluetooth board I have, I used a pulse-tone converter.  The bluetooth board i'm using is the cobra Phonelinx.  Which has been disassembled and soldered in power and phone lines.  Later models I might desolder the board LEDs and mount them else where, but since I want this to mainly be obscure, I made it so you can only see them from underneath via small drill holes in the phone.

Future Ideas

To make a "ringer flashing light" I thing i'm going to use a Radioshack neon bulb and mount, but use it only for the mount as it has the "look" that i want for a domed light.  but since a neon would take more draw that needed and not be very bright.  I will use a super bright red LED with a 100k resistor wired in parallel to the ringer.
   The "Dial light" i'm still researching.  An idea that came to me the other day was to use license plate bolts with LEDs already mounted in them, then to use a black rebar cover with a hole to cover the bolt, solving the mounting and the look as well as making it a fast solution.  I cant mount LEDs from behind as there is to much mechanical gearing in the way from the dial.  But using plastic fiber optic might be a future possibility.
   The idea of using an internal charger is to be able to plug this unit in and have it work just like a desk phone and never have the battery die.  Even though this adds complexity and cost, this really makes it a set it and forget it extension of your phone.  This will also make it so you can use any dumb 12v cord that can supply 2a of current to run/charge the phone, i.e. in the car.


Work in progress as of 12-23-10

Craftsman Professional 13" Planer

Yet another Craigslist find. Model 351.217430.  Which isn't that old, yet kinda hard to find much about it online.

No Mods planned.... Yet
Just refurbishing.

1.  Order replacement parts that were missing or damaged.  (Done)
2.  Clean up and re-oil machine.  
3.  Add new parts.

In progress as of 12-23-10

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Restoring a Heston & Anderson 6" Jointer Model# 8650

This nice tool has a 60" table all cast iron and 3/4 enclosed cabinet.  It houses a B-line ( Brown-BrockMeyer Co. ) 3/4HP Motor. Frame #RM-720-R

Things I need to fix Mod.

1.  Motor mount bushings.
2.  Industrial switch add-on.
3.  Rewire with 12Ga cord.
4.  4" Dust collection cover.
5.  Find new blades.
6.  Replace switch with industrial style switch.


Temp. blurry cam image...

As of 01/02/10 ... Post in progress, project currently on hold.

Rebuilding/Modifying a Delta contractor saw model 10 (34-410)

Just got this saw with a 50" Biesemeyer fence and router table insert.  Found this great deal on Craigslist.  When I got this thing hole and powered it on I noticed there was a problem.  The arbor bearings were bad. Took me a few days to figure out a good way to replace those.  Finally I decided to use a bearing puller separator from Harbor Freight.  Not that I wanted to but because they were the only ones that had a tool big enough and long enough to pull them off and pull the new bearing all the way on again.

next up is the mods.

1.  PALS system add-on.
2.  Industrial power switch mod, akin to my drill press.
3.  Built in 12ga extension cord for Table saw and router add-on.
4.  Build on a folding extension table.
5.  Build in dust collection for both router and TS.
6.  Add Industrial switch for router.
7.  Add more drawers for storage.

1.  This Product from In-Line Industries seems like a great idea.

2.  Again I used the switch from a craftsman product.  And to meet electrical requirements I got it out of a matching powered table saw of

Obviously in progress...
As of 12/7/10